March is National Save Your Vision Month, 31 days dedicated to promoting eye health. Combat Blindness International has partnered with our friends at Ulla Eyewear to give you some information on refractive errors and the benefits of eyeglasses.
Refractive errors occur when the shape of the eye prevents light from focusing directly on the retina. The length of the eyeball, changes in the shape of the cornea or aging of the lens can cause refractive errors.
The four most common types of refractive errors:
- Myopia (nearsightedness) is a condition where objects up close appear clearly, while objects far away appear blurry. With myopia, light comes to focus in front of the retina instead of on the retina. According to Our Children’s Vision, levels of myopia are expected to rise from 1.96 billion cases in 2010 to 4.76 billion in 2050.
- Hyperopia (farsightedness) is a common type of refractive error where distant objects may be seen more clearly than objects that are near. However, people experience hyperopia differently. Some people may not notice any problems with their vision, especially when they are young.
- Astigmatism is a condition in which the eye does not focus light evenly onto the retina. This can cause images to appear blurry and stretched out.
- Presbyopia is an age-related condition in which the ability to focus up close becomes more difficult. As the eye ages, the lens can no longer change shape enough to allow the eye to clearly focus close objects.
Refractive errors can be corrected with eyeglasses, contact lenses or surgery. Eyeglasses are the simplest and safest way to correct refractive errors. Your eye care professional can prescribe appropriate lenses to give you optimal vision.
In children, refractive errors can be especially harmful. Poor vision can severely affect a child’s education. 80% of what a child learns occurs visually. For this reason, CBI has undertaken efforts to screen children for visual impairment around the world.
The benefits of eyeglasses are plentiful. Here’s a few reasons why they’re as appealing as ever:
- Glasses are a fashion statement. Frames now come in many different shapes, sizes and fun colors. You can accessorize any outfit with a pair of glasses.
- They protect your eyes. Eyeglasses offer better protection against various irritants than contacts. They can shield you from tiny objects making their way into your eye and possibly causing a moment of sightlessness.
- They’re less hassle than contacts. Glasses are much easier to clean and maintain than contact lenses. Contacts can cause eye infections when not cleaned properly. A glasses case is also much larger than a contact case, therefore you’re less likely to misplace them.
- They’re more comfortable. Wearing glasses helps eliminate any discomfort you had from squinting without glasses. When properly fitted, glasses sit comfortably on your ears and nose. You also don’t need to worry about dry and irritated eyes like you do with contacts.
Ulla Eyewear has a stunning selection of unique frames for men, women and children. The staff at Ulla Eyewear can fit you with the perfect frames for your face. Not only will your vision improve, but your style will too!
About Ulla Eyewear
Operating in its original Hilldale Shopping Center location since 1998, Ulla Eyewear is one of Madison’s only local, independent and family-owned eyewear stores.
Information for this blog was obtained from the National Eye Institute.